Sunday 6 February 2011

Software Ethics

I have just completed Exercises 16 - 18 usually following the suggested methods that were given in the Course material. However I was conscious that I had a whole array of other techniques available to me in the software that is on my computer. Furthermore it is inevitable that the Course material lags behind the most recent innovations in enhancement software. I found myself in something of a dilemma as to whether to use all the tools available to me or to stick to what had been suggested. On occasion I decided to use all that I had available even if this was taking shortcuts to reach the desired end.

My thinking was that the Course material is designed to cover a whole range of experience and available software so that it has to be written to be inclusive. I have no conscience about using Photoshop CS5 although it is possible that some of my fellow students may only have access to more limited programmes. Is it, therefore, any different to use software that is not perhaps more generally available or to follow the advice found in other sources of information. One that coloured, if you will excuse the pun, my thinking was the comment I read that using the channel sliders means that you are working in the dark and that it is very much a case of trial and error. Certainly I found myself going backwards and forwards without any real idea of why the changes I was making had the effect I saw.

Photoshop offers a whole range of presets that are quick to use and the effect is immediate (and reversible). I first started using Photoshop Ver 5.5. The difference between that and CS5 is of several orders of magnitude particularly in the support through presets. In addition there is plug in software that offers even more. I have come to the conclusion that I will use all that is available to me but at the same time trying to understand the underlying techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment