Wednesday 2 February 2011

DPP - Assignment 2

Completed the work on the assignment and submitted it to my Tutor. He uses the Dropbox system for getting images and provided I have set it up right it seems an ideal method. Certainly from my point of view it was much simpler and it means there is an additional copy of the images that is always worth having.

On the overall project I found it interesting and useful to think about both the technical aspects (number of stops in the dynamic range etc.) and the challenges faced when dealing with different levels and types of lighting. I was left wondering whether this is ever a conscious decision by photographers where they mentally work out the dynamic range of the scene they are shooting or whether they rely much more on experience. In what I have read and watching various videos by well known photographers there seems to be a couple of approaches - experience  where almost without thinking they decide what is the best way to achieve the shot they are aiming for or the test shot - where they make a best guess, check the result visually on the lcd and histogram and make necessary adjustments. There is probably a third way which is to bracket the shot to maximise the chances of success.

On to project 3 - processing the image. I am really looking forward to this one, particularly the assignment  Colours into Tones. I have been fortunate in knowing and seeing the work of photographers who have a love of black and white photography and hopefully some of their advice has remained with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment