Tuesday 15 February 2011

DPP Exercise21 Enhancement

I fail to see what is the real difference between this exercise and the last one. As stated in my last blog I used the same enhancements that I usually do with portraits. Sharpening generally tends to make the eyes appear brighter. I have never considered changing the hue of the eyes and can only surmise under what circumstances this would arise unless from a request by the person who asked for the photograph where the question of ethics would rest with that person.

There is no point at which someone feels they have crossed some mythical line between lightening the face and changing the hue of the eyes as they are not part of a continuum. I would repeat that there are no ethical issues if there is no advantage derived by me from any of the changes. I am not pretending that the portrait or any other image is something that it is not. If people wish to challenge the changes then I would ask them to state where the truth in an image lies. There is no verifiable truth in an image because everything we see and the camera records is an interpretation of some unknowable reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment