Sunday 13 February 2011

DPP Exercise 19 Correction


Before acquiring a camera that provides sensor cleaning I found that dust spots were fairly consistent across the image from one image to another. This made it relatively easy to find the dust spots. Indeed it was possible, where the lens had not been changed, to do a batch of images together.

In this case both the camera and the image were unfamiliar to me and knowing which were dust spots or artefacts of the glass was difficult to decide even at large magnifications. Where I thought there was a dust spot I used the spot healing brush of sufficient size to just cover the spot. It worked well providing I zoomed in and made sure that I did not include sharp edges.

For me dust spots seem to be a thing of the past although I do still check for them. On one occasion I entered an image into a competition only for the judge to make pointed comments about dust. On much closer examination of the image under appropriate lighting I found that the 'spots' were in fact a cloud of midges that were very close to the lens when the picture was taken.  I removed them using the healing brush without difficulty particularly as they were against a clear blue sky. Just shows you can never take anything for granted.


First time that I have had to resolve this problem. Not because I am a clever photographer but because I discard such images on first inspection. I also try to avoid the problem by using a lens hood and where necessary shielding the camera from the direct sun by providing shade from whatever is available. If I have one with me I find a reflector panel works very well.

In this case I first selected the polygon(s) and then partially desaturated them using the red and yellow channels. This worked quite well but more work was necessary. I then used the clone stamp matching as far as possible the immediate surrounds. In parts there had to be a guess as to where something ended. 

The question is asked - Should the flaring be left? Personally I don't like to see it in an image because it is generally distracting and tends to take the viewer's eye away from the main subject. I realise that this is a personal decision and I have seen other photographers who have used it deliberately. Unless in some way it acts as a pointer or takes the eye into the image I would leave it well alone.

The exercise proves that the best way to deal with the problem is to avoid it happening at all. Many DSLRs have sensor cleaning and they must prove their worth if one takes into account the cost of cleaning the image instead. Although it may just be someone's time the cost may be real in terms of cash or, perhaps worse, limit the time you have to do what you want to do - take photographs.

Unless you want to include flare into the image it is relatively easy to avoid. Sometimes you only have to turn your body slightly whilst still being able to take the shot you want.





No comments:

Post a Comment