Tuesday 8 March 2011

Focus on Imaging

Visited the Focus on Imaging exhibition yesterday (7.03.11). Been once before three years ago. Seemed to be less stands occupied than I remember but it was very much the same as before. Although it was busy round areas where lectures were being given and at those stands doing direct sales it was otherwise quiet. Only thing I purchased was a book on CS5 although came away with the usual carrier bag full of flyers.

The good thing, and my reason for going, was being able to visit the OCA stand. My specific purpose was to look at the Course material for the Level 2 Course 'Landscapes' to give me some idea of what it entailed. Quick read through and my heart sank when it said what was expected of the learning log and that it should be kept in an A4 folder. Fortunately our CEO (Gareth Dent)was there and he told me that this information was out of date and that they are encouraging all students to go down the blog route in all Courses. Aside - You would think that the material on the stand would have been up to date.

There were several fellow students there and it was great being able to chat to them and find that some of my feelings of isolation and concern were echoed by others. It was also interesting to hear their take on the Courses particularly those that I was thinking of taking. Most agreed that there was a need for at least occasional meetings of students and that the OCA should facilitate this not least by setting up a system that allows willing students to get in contact with each other. Although, rightly, much is made of the web site and in particular the forum these are not a substitute for face to face contact and for many are not a real option.

It was a shame that there were no examples of students' work. I know that Jose Navarro invited us to submit images for selection but this was only a few days before the actual event. Given that it is a regular thing for the OCA to be at the Exhibition perhaps we should start earlier in getting a selection of images together.

A good day out in which I was fortunate to achieve my main objective and have the added bonus of meeting fellow students that made the College seem a real entity.

No comments:

Post a Comment