Friday 25 March 2011

DPP Assignment 5

Visited Norwich yesterday to add to my collection of possible images for assignment 5. I went with a definite plan in mind which was to walk through the market/main shopping area of the town and then follow the river to the Railway Station. The idea was to take a number of images in the streets for the assignment and then wander along the river side taking shots that simply interested me so that I could 'refresh' my photographic eye. It worked well.

The choice of the Railway satiation was based on the fact that it is a terminus so there is a relatively large concourse and places to sit down and take photographs as and when they happened. There was quite a bit of foot traffic but sufficiently spread out to allow for individuals and their actions to be noticed and photographed. The light was good and it was very pleasant quietly sitting and letting the world come to me rather than 'chasing' the action. Network Rail allow photography on their premises so I was not bothered by security.

There is an argument for going again for a longer period to establish the rhythm of the place and to suss out the best area to sit/stand so that passers-by are caught against an interesting background. There may also be an argument for going during the late evening so that advantage can be taken of the artificial lighting which is likely to be of different sorts.

I have begun to acquire a large number of images and there is now a need to go through them and establish 'themes' that would link 10 - 12 photographs in a coherent whole for the final submission. I am trying to keep an open mind but find myself being pushed towards two choices - 'waiting' (as in queues or for someone) or interaction between strangers such as contact between people carrying out surveys and their approach to someone that they believe meet their criteria. One other alternative is people and travel such as the images I took yesterday at the Railway station and combine these with similar shots at ferries, airports and other points of travel transport.

Still work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment