Tuesday 15 June 2010

Multiple Points


Having wrestled with the tripod and camera to ensure stability I then found that focusing presented some problems. Originally I had used an ivory white card as a background but the camera had difficulty focussing. Changing to the background seen above resolved the problem. I also found that because of the low level of light (I didn't want to use flash) best results were obtained by using a remote control.



The second element I placed in the top right corner. It is a small vase of which only part can be seen. I used the opening of the vase to point towards the first element providing an implied line between the two.


The third element was placed so that the point was  towards the vase thus providing a visual path between the three elements. Although it could be argued that there is a triangular relationship between the three I personally feel that this is not the case because of the shape and difference in sizes.



The inclusion of the fourth element was primarily designed to provide balance by filling the void in the bottom left corner. I find that it is difficult to scan the photograph because of the strong diagonal that is broken by the out-of-line element.  Perhaps it says something of me that I feel a strong urge to push it into line. 



The fifth element was chosen for its colour and size. Its placement seems to split the image into two parts. The bottom three form a strong triangular shape that has the effect on locking the eye (the tendency is to follow the pattern of the triangle). The two other elements seem separate and I found that I have to make a deliberate effort to see them and find it difficult to resolve the tension created.



The sixth element was placed to resolve the tension by creating a second triangle and also by linking to the triangle at the bottom of the image. In doing this there is now a flow round the image that takes the eye from the red vase via the just added element to the small red object that has a slight curve to the bottom left and then back up the image.



The final element was chosen for its colour and placed so that there is a triangular relationship between the three red items that encloses a second triangle, the three pale objects. At the same time the two small red objects form another triangle with the bottom left corner element thus the whole image is tied together as one.

There are other relationships throughout the image, for example, the four sided figure created by the two small red elements and the two pointed objects. 

I have to confess that the apparently thought out approach described above is rationalisation after the event. I placed each item where I thought it fitted best and viewed the result through the viewfinder of the camera. On most occasions I had to move it slightly but I was unaware of any conscious process taking place - I placed everything so it looked right to me at the time. Furthermore I had no end result in mind when I started out and took it one step at a time. Of course the greater the number of elements present the more constrained the placement of the next element became. 

No comments:

Post a Comment