Wednesday 23 June 2010

Assignment 2

Went to Cambridge yesterday to take photographs to meet the requirements of this assignment. One of the warmest days of the year and because of traffic problems didn't arrive until almost mid-day which is not the best time to be taking photographs.

Although I got images for about half or slightly more of the subject matter I found that cityscapes do not provide (or I could not see them) such things as a 'single point' and 'two points' because of the problems of background clutter and the lack of distance. The river did offer some hope of finding these with the endless stream of punts but I think I need to be there before the crowds descend. Lots of vertical and horizontal lines, curves and diagonals the challenge here being getting far enough away to limit the keystoning effect. There was also a good supply of 'rhythm' and 'pattern'.  These latter two effects really need to have angled light, either early morning or evening, to be effective. Certainly not the mid-day sun.

I am now considering whether to return to Cambridge at a better time or think of another of the suggested subjects.

The lesson learned was "Plan Ahead". My only excuse being that the trip had been planned for some time with friends. Perhaps need to run solo when on an assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment