Tuesday 25 May 2010

Balance

This is a totally new concept to me. I have never heard the term being used in the context of photography despite having attended lectures, workshops and a vast number of exhibitions and competitions.

Even reading the material provided and viewing the images did not provide much enlightenment. The sketches whilst a useful statement of basic physics did not, for me, provide much insight. The symmetrical is easy to understand but the image of 'two unequal objects' did not seem balanced to me. It is interesting that in the example on page 36 uses monochrome and red lines to isolate parts supposedly in balance but the full colour image on the next page is quite different and the eye is taken by the large blue rectangle on the right.

As required I looked at a number of my own images. Where the main subject of the picture was located near to the centre or was symmetrical in itself then balance was perceived.  Other images were much more difficult to assess in these terms and I found myself trying to create a balance that probably was not there in the first place.

An exercise that left me more confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment