Saturday 6 August 2011

Visual Studies 1: Understanding Visual Culture

Received the Course material and sent off for the books that are not provided. Got one of them yesterday but still await the leviathan Amazon to send the others.

On glancing through the first book received - practices of looking   an introduction to visual culture [Sturken & Cartwright  OUP 2001] . I felt that I was returning to an earlier part of my life. I studied philosophy at 3rd level whilst undertaking my OU studies (some 35 years ago!) and the strange use of language and various references in the new book reminded me strongly of those days. I thoroughly enjoyed the discipline of the study of philosophy and find myself looking forward to this new venture. Once again I can become engrossed in esoteric discussion/arguments in a world that purports to relate to the world in which we all think we live but that often seems to do so only by accident.

Of course having said that I may fall flat on my face and ask myself why I didn't continue with my photographic studies. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment