Tuesday 2 August 2011

DPP Assignment 5 - Initial thoughts on selection

At present I have some 45 images for the assignment that need to culled to 10 - 12. In order to reduce the necessity to return to where the images were taken I take a number of shots of the same thing from different angles and from varying distances. On first inspection there are some discards for a variety of reasons but, hopefully, some that are worth further consideration. Whilst I was kicking this around in my head I felt that I had to have some criteria to decide what elements and make up of an image work in particular circumstances.

Most of the current pack of images fall under the general term of landscapes.Whilst I had some idea of what made a good landscape I thought it might be worthwhile looking at the work of acclaimed landscape artists. This was a change of approach for me as generally I have never been convinced of the value of looking at other peoples work believing the best way was to go out and photograph and establish what works for me through trial and error - i.e. learn from my mistakes/failures. I visited the BBC website 'your paintings' and after browsing through a number of images that came under the 'landscape' tag settled on the work of John Constable.

I gained a great deal from the exercise not least because I could relate it directly to some of the work that I had done. For example a couple of possible images for the final submission are of windpumps and windmills where I had taken close ups resulting in the building being taken out of its surroundings. It felt that whilst it was obvious what the objects were they could have been at the side of the M25. Examining Constable's Flatford Mill and other of his works he seems almost always to place the object in context. It was a 'no-brainer' to follow the same path.

No comments:

Post a Comment