Thursday 4 August 2011

DPP Assignment 4(2)

Received my tutor's comments today. I am happy to report that he stated that the work was 'good' (huge sigh of relief). He does raise a number of points that I need to think about and include in my future approach to photography.

He states that in this particular case he was more interested in the concept behind the image rather than the actual production of it. He continues:-  the idea that leads to the final image, the planning and the sourcing of individual component images that show me how premeditated and focussed you were on the assignment. And these are the main skills I'm looking for in assignment 4. I have no argument with this and indeed it makes a lot of sense and my only comment would be that this statement or something similar would have been useful in the Course notes. It is a discussion I have had before where the Course 'advice' is not clear in what is being tested in the Assignment.

In terms of execution and production he remarks that technical digital skills are part and parcel of being a photographer and we need to be fully conversant with a core set of Photoshop tools. Again I fully agree and I spend a fair bit of my time trying to master these skills by using resources other than the OCA. I read a large number of books and magazines that offer practice and advice on techniques and also subscribe to Kelby Training (www.kelbytraining.com) and I recently joined the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) to gain access to their magazine and online tutorials. Furthermore I hold the Licentiateship of the Royal Photographic Society and in process of gaining this received a great deal of tuition and advice from Fellows and Associates of the Society.

I was recently discussing the Course with a colleague who asked the question -"Does the Course provide information on enhancing images?" and he was surprised that the answer was "very little". Given that the Course is at 1st level exactly how much prior knowledge is the student supposed to have and equally important - what level of access to sophisticated cameras and software is expected?  I can only wonder if tutors apply different standards depending upon their view of the students former experience.

The question is raised in the tutor's report whether the image I created fulfills the 'real or fake' brief. On further consideration I would agree with his conclusion that it is so obviously a 'fake' that very few people would be fooled. He describes it as an illustration rather than a photograph and I understand from this that there is a point where a montage or changed photograph moves from being a photograph to an illustration. Obviously this boundary is not a fixed thing and probably would not be agreed upon by different individuals (rather like that which is seen as cheating in Photoshop and that seen as acceptable changes). It is fair comment to say that my book cover was an illustration and that it does not raise the doubt in the mind of the viewer as to whether it is 'real'.

As my tutor comments there are a whole range of possibilities in tackling the assignment and whilst he states that my approach was legitimate there are others. At the end of the day it is a matter of personal approach as long as the brief is met.

No comments:

Post a Comment