Saturday 30 July 2011

DPP Assignment 5 - Review of Progress

The assignment requires that we "draw together all that you have learned and apply it to a personal project."

The first Project for the Course related to Workflow and as I tend to follow the same workflow each time when tackling an assignment I am confident that I did so with this assignment.  However I have to say that I do not carry around a written 'to-do' list so it is an assumption based on a general belief. There have been some changes in the post processing of the images because of further learning about the depth that Photoshop offers. I was watching a training video and the tutor was showing the workflow he used in processing his images. Although I was aware of the existence of the facility that he used (in Camera Raw) I had never used it thinking that it was there for another purpose. How wrong can you be?! Interestingly I was showing colleagues the process used and their reaction was the same.

In my formal workflow (the written down one) I include re-iteration a great deal simply because I find that as I progress new ideas are suggested by the work that I have already done or that I need to re-visit some particular aspect to improve the final result. This going back and forth has been particularly true in working on Assignment 5.

Project 2 related to Digital Image Qualities and I have applied the lessons learned in that element of the Course regularly either in work for the Course or my own personal photography. I noticed on a recent shoot that I had absorbed the ideas to the point that they were 'naturally' incorporated into my work.

Project 3 related to processing the image and it is in this area that I have noticed a significant change as noted above. I invariably shoot in RAW and the ability to do the majority of the processing in ACR plus further learning has enabled me to ensure, for the most part, that I get the best possible result from the information that is available. I particularly enjoy monochrome photography and when choosing what to take I consider whether there is the potential for a monochrome image in what I am seeing. Having said that sometimes the one that I did not see gives the best monochrome result. Currently it is my intention to include a couple of monochrome images in my final submission.

Project 4 "Reality and Intervention" caused me the most trouble as a review of the relevant entries in this blog will show. How I will tackle this element in the final submission is unclear. Having processed many of the images I believe will be in  the final selection there has been enhancement in all of them, some more than others. The 'worst' one in my view is where I removed a small number of people from a shot of a beach to create an empty vista using 'Content Aware'. It is misleading and therefore possibly 'wrong' ethically but I have to ask myself is it more 'wrong' than making the sky more dramatic by using Curves. As I have argued there are no gradations of 'wrong' for me the argument is sterile.

I have finally decided that the subject and treatment will be on 'Man and the Coast'. At this point in time my aim is to contrast the unspoilt coast barely touched by man with the intrusion created by our desire to enjoy our day at the seaside: by the need to prevent the sea literally washing away our belief as to what the seaside should look like; and the exploitation of what the coast has to offer in other ways.

I now need to start making a selection from the images already taken, to select possible candidates for conversion to monochrome and to discover any gaps that have been created as my thinking has developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment