Sunday 26 December 2010

Reading about light

Spent most of today enjoying the quiet after the Christmas festivities. Had the chance to finish reading "Captured by the Light" by David A Ziser (published by New Riders). Although it is a book about wedding photography the subject matter - the use of light whether ambient or photographic lighting - has a much wider application. Whilst I have no ambition to be a wedding photographer (I could not stand the stress) I found the author's approach to lighting very informative and offered a great deal of food for thought. To state the obvious photography is about light and how we use it in the image and to have the benefit of an experienced photographer's thoughts can only add to my store of knowledge.

I have found that even though the subject of a book may not be directly relevant to the work that interests me  it is always worth at least glancing through the pages to pick up hints and tips that are relevant to other fields. In the case of this book I found a reference to 'highlight tone priority' that is part of the menu on the camera that I use but had no real idea what is was there for - now I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment