Tuesday 28 December 2010

Parallel Universes!?

I've just had my tutor's comments on my first assignment for "Digital Photographic Practice" that is entitled 'Workflow'. I am criticised for failing to have read the requirements of the assignment correctly and advised to read and re-read the information provided. My efforts are seen to be so wide of the mark that I have been asked to re-submit the assignment. As you can imagine this was something of a shock and demoralising.

It was made worse by the fact that in his comments the tutor refers to matters that are not mentioned in the assignment and even provides it with a different title -  'Contrasts'. Now, it so happens that I undertook the Course "The Art of Photography" where the first Assignment was entitled  'Contrasts' and contained reference to those matters that my tutor had mentioned in his response. Could it be that for reasons best known to himself (did he fail to read something) he has assumed that I was pursuing the 'Art of Photography' rather than the Course for which he was appointed my Tutor?

I have sent an e-mail seeking clarification (I also sent a copy to the OCA seeking their help) and look forward to his response. I have told him that I am not prepared to re-submit the assignment until there is agreement on what it is I am supposed to be doing.

My major concern is, assuming that I am right, is a total loss of confidence in the Tutor. Whilst I am prepared to wait for the response my feelings at the moment are to seek a change of Tutor.

Having achieved my first degree through the Open University (BA Hons) I am very used to distance learning but this is the first time that I have failed because someone decided I was doing a different Course.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment