Thursday 23 September 2010

Judging Colour Temperature 2

The question as to whether I would prefer the picture taken in the shade to be completely neutral rather begs the question do I understand what 'completely neutral' means. I am not sure that I do; something is neutral or not neutral, there are no shades of neutral which is the concept that arises from the inclusion of the word 'completely'. I assume that the term relates to the lack of a colour bias in an image. If that is the case then my answer would be 'No'.  Would I prefer the image to be 'slightly less blue' - no I don't think so because like most people I am largely unaware of the blue colour cast unless my attention is drawn to it.

The same response is relevant to the question whether I would like the low sun shot to be 'less orange'. Probably not as the orange captures the fact that the photograph was taken at or close to sunset.

The first three images were taken at about 2.00.p.m. with the subject in sunlight.

Camera setting - Auto

Camera Setting - Daylight



Camera Setting - Shade

Of the three settings I prefer the 'daylight' setting. I find the 'Auto' setting too cool and the 'shade' setting too warm.

The next three were taken at roughly the same time but this time with the subject in the shade.

Cameras Setting - Auto


Camera Setting - Daylight


Camera Setting - Shade

In the case of these three images my preference lies with the image using the 'shade' setting. The 'warmth' of the picture feels about right whilst the other two feel too 'cool'. It is an interesting thought as to whether my preference arise from my feelings at the time of taking the photograph.

The next three images were taken as the sun was low in the sky approximately half an hour before sunset.

Camera Setting - Auto


Camera Setting - Daylight



Camera Setting - Shade

Again my preference is for the 'shade' setting and for the same reasons.

Overall both this exercise and the previous one strengthened an 'awareness' (definitely I would not call it knowledge) about the differing colour of light throughout the day and its variance depending upon the weather. I also used the white balance settings on my camera for the first time in the 12 months that I have had the camera.

I tend to leave my camera at Auto White Balance and then adjust the temperature in Photoshop to complement the image as this allows for greater subtlety and control. Also, given the nature of the British climate, light can vary between the time you decide to take the picture and the time that you press the shutter. To add into this the time taken to set the White Balance and the light you so wanted to capture may well have disappeared.

I can see the value of selecting an appropriate White Balance setting in controlled lighting conditions if a particular effect was desired but again light is not that consistent as it bounces off whatever is around and subtly changes colour as the photographer changes his position in relation to the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment