Tuesday 28 September 2010

Concentrating Light

I did this exercise although there was no suggestion in the text as to how many photographs were required. I set up my camera on a tripod and fitted a flash unit directly to the hot shoe on the camera. The flash was fitted with a snoot to concentrate the light. I took 13 photographs in all, partly to establish where the light would fall but also to get an acceptable image. Results varied from a 'black hole' with barely any light to a fairly well lit room with the spotlight visible. This latter effect was caused by the way that I had set the flash which is an ETTL unit. Back to the instruction booklet. The best result was:


There has been some enhancement in Photoshop to lighten slightly the area outside the spotlight and also to sharpen the image.

I found this a very useful exercise that caused me to think about what I wanted to achieve and how to achieve it. It was the first time that I had used a snoot and as it came with two grids I had to experiment to find what produced the best result. The final choice was the snoot without any attachments as this provided a spot of sufficient size to light the chosen area.

I was not too happy with the focus and in future uses would set the camera at manual focus prior to any shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment