Friday 27 August 2010

Exercise - Softening the light



In common with most of August today was damp, cold, miserable and overcast suggesting that it was a good day for staying indoors. I decided that I would give my recent purchase of flash attachments a try out.

I am not keen on studio photography although my only experience is two sessions at different photographic clubs sessions where equipment was provided by members. In both cases there was a 'professional' studio set up with synchronised lights and various backdrops along with a variety of reflectors and diffusers. In one case we had willing models whilst in the other members acted as 'volunteers'. Unfortunately there was insufficient time to for individuals to create their own lighting and of course flash was going off all over the place. Probably not the best introduction.

I decided that initially I would keep the equipment to a reasonable cost so I purchased a Viewfinder Accessories kit that fitted my Canon Speedlite 580EX that had been given to me as a present 5 or 6 years ago and only used a couple of times. I had been given a demonstration of how it worked at a local Warehouse Express and had been impressed. I also purchased a Lastolite 3 metre cable so that I could use the flash off camera. To support the flash off camera a used a Manfrotto 682B monopod that has three small legs that means that it can stand on its own.

The first image was taken with the flash pointing down at the subject without a diffuser with the camera also slightly above the level of the subject.



The second image was taken in the same way but this time a diffuser was fitted to the flash.


The noticeable difference between the two images is in the highlights. The second image has softer less harsh highlights giving a more realistic appearance to the 'clothing' . The head and shoulders in the first image are over exposed and there is loss of detail.

Of the two images I prefer the second because of the better tonal range and the greater subtlety of the lighting.



No comments:

Post a Comment