Monday 9 August 2010

Assignment 3 - Colour

Finally finished the assignment today and posted it to my Tutor.

Struggled to find the right combination of colours to satisfy the needs of the assignment (see previous blogs) and was constantly battling to quell my own view that the Course material offered a limited and probably western view of how we 'see' colour. There is little doubt that what we 'see' is conditioned by our cultural background and how we have been conditioned to see colour combinations in terms of 'right' and 'wrong'. One has only to read fashion magazines where the fashion writer states their view and compare this with the same writers views previously.

There is also the problem as to whether we all see the same colours when we use the term 'green' for example. I am not talking about colour blindness but our own perception. One example from the Course for me was the use of the term 'violet' to describe one of the colours in the colour wheel. The colour violet to me is a much paler colour and for those who can remember them is the colour of parma violets. Had I been asked to name the colour in the wheel I would have said purple.

It will be interesting to receive my tutors comments because despite my efforts I am not sure that I have actually achieved  the aims of the assignment. Having said that I did learn an awful lot about colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment