Saturday 9 April 2011

Success

Just received the news that I passed The Art of Photography Course following assessment. One down 6 to go!

I needed the boost as I am going through a barren time in my photography. As I reported earlier in my blog I had decided to use street photography as my lead in for the project work for Assignment 5 of Digital Photographic Practice. To say that it has not been a success is a massive understatement. It is clearly not my thing and this shows both in my approach and in the resulting photographs. They are poor, lack direction and largely unrelated.

I face the dilemma of carrying on in spite of the evidence that my heart is not in it or starting down another avenue that I have enthusiasm for. I have decide to change tack completely and pursue a topic that I enjoy and feel strongly about  - man's impact on the coastline. Not living far from the Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex coasts there is a lot to choose from and lots of variety from the panoramic unspoilt beaches to the heavily industrialised including the odd nuclear power station.

Aim to have everything ready for submission for assessment for the July date that gives me a latest date of early June to allow time for the material to arrive at the OCA. Included in this is the time necessary for my tutor to give his views. Busy times ahead but at least I feel enthused about the work.

Next is the decision about the next Course to follow. My inclination at present is to go for one of the elective Creative Arts Courses at Level 1 to give me a chance to make more concrete my thoughts about the impact of culture on how we 'see' things. I may also be brave and start a second level Course in Photography so that I can keep my hand in. I have found that getting out and taking lots of photographs is one of the best ways to improve as long as I am prepared to be honest in my critique of the work and what I have achieved.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on TAOP.

    Sorry to hear that your experience with Street work hasn't been fruitful. As someone with a lot of experience of shooting candid images of people I have to say that I find street photography very challenging. I have found that it takes some work and time to begin to get your eye in.

    I persevere because I find it a great discipline and because I enjoy it. I think enjoyment and interest are key to doing good work and look forward to your coastline work, which soudns very interesting.

    ReplyDelete